Trying New Things

I finally got brave enough to jump into some art mediums other than drawing and painting. We’ve recently tackled “It Looked Like Spilt Milk” by  Charles G. Shaw (Storybook Art, page 33) and “Snow on Snow on Snow” by Cheryl Chapman and Synthia Saint James (Storybook Art, page 86).

The kids did a project based on “It Looked Like Spilt Milk” with my parents while we were in Chile. They blobbed some white paint in the middle of blue paper and then folded the paper and opened it back up. Once dry, they looked at their image from different angles to see what it looked like and wrote their impressions on the paper. Such fun.

If Storybook Art hadn’t had this other project to go along with the book, I would have left it alone. But I was really curious to see how this one would work.

You take shaving cream and white glue and mix together. Plop a blob down on a piece of paper and let your kid explore and shape and create. Whatever they come up with will dry puffy.

This was such a sensory activity for the girls and Samuel that they didn’t get past smearing the shaving cream mixture all over their paper and the table. Henry had the only picture that dried puffy.

Here they are:

Kate, loving the feel of pure squishiness


It took Becca a minute or two to fully embrace the experience.

Henry was very deliberate in his creation.

I was a little more skeptical to try “Snow on Snow on Snow” as it was a cut/collage project, but figured that we needed a baseline to determine time between projects such as this. As we read the book together, I tried to draw the kids’ attention to the pictures, asking them how they would create a scene like that, or pointing out that nothing was drawn; the images we were looking at were void of detail and drawn expression.

My takeaway was that my littles are still a little too little for a project like this. They had lots of creative ideas but haven’t developed the fine motor and scissor skills to execute independently. Henry wanted to draw his objects and then cut them out, which was fine. Samuel had a whole story in his head that he dictated to me while instructing me what pieces to cut out of which color papers. The girls also had specific ideas of what they wanted on their snow scenes, but ultimately ended up more interested in the glue sticks (as you will be able to see on Kate’s picture).

Here’s what they came up with:

Here is Kate’s Frosty the Snowman at the bottom of the sledding hill, complete with flecks of goldfish cracker that stuck when she sneezed without covering her mouth. All of the yellow on the green background is dried glue from the glue stick.

Becca and her tutu were pretty proud of the “nummy” (cat), doggie, and baby frolicking in the snow.

Sam liked the idea of the “nummy” and wanted to copy it, although he was insistent on cutting his own tail for the cat. He put glue on the wrong side of the cat so it had to face the opposite direction from where he originally intended it to face. So he changed the story to be that the cat was running away from something scary. Enter the shark. Then he liked the idea of Becca’s baby, so he wanted to have a mother holding a baby. Evidently, they’re not as scared of the shark as the cat is. The snow at the bottom of the picture and the giant snowflakes (big brown and white squares at the top) were Samuel’s original and independent contribution to the project.

Henry was the only one to work independently 100%. I get the house on the snow but am a little unsure of what the red arch is. I was very pleased with his efforts, though.

One Response to “Trying New Things”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *